This curriculum is delivered entirely online and utilizes a series of 8 sequential e-learning modules. Learners are able to complete the e-learning materials at their own pace and on their own schedule, while still be able to interact with other learners in the program.
The goals of this program are to:
- Describe what collaborative research is and why it is important. Also, you will learn about the many examples that exist around the world. With your future participation in research, you will be standing on the many shoulders of people, just like you, who have gone before.
- Because researchers almost always work in teams, learn some of the mechanics of teamwork and how to address conflict (should it arise).
- Know the differences between the role of influencer versus the role of advocate.
- Recognize and be able to identify and articulate the expertise that people with lived experience and carers bring to the research table.
- Become comfortable with the many aspects of research and feel that this complicated subject has been demystified.
- Be aware of what research can and cannot accomplish.
- Understand the importance of knowledge transfer/translation and what your roles can be in this activity.
- Build individual confidence that you can and will be able to participate fully in depression research projects when called upon to do so.
- Build respect for yourselves and your potential contributions to depression research and knowledge translation - but also respect for the roles and contribution of researchers.
- To have some fun.
The Adult Learner
This training has been designed according to the following adult learning principles:
- Participants are completing the training because they see a benefit for themselves.
- Adults learn more by doing than by listening. As such, the program attempts to utilize interactive components where possible.
- Adults want practical information – information that they can see will be of immediate help to them.
- Adults come with a lot of life experience. This is an asset when drawn upon to deepen the learning experience.
- Adult learners appreciate attention to time. This program puts control of the learning schedule firmly in the hands of the adult learner.